Skip to main content

Does Home Insurance Cover Building And Contents?

Whether your home insurance covers the building and contents depends on the type of home insurance. There are many different types of home insurance and you need to understand them before choosing the one that is suitable for you and your family. It is also very important to know what's covered and what's not covered before you make your choice.

What is home insurance?

Home insurance is an insurance cover that helps protect your home, possessions and their contents against damage, fire, flood or theft. It's designed to help provide peace of mind if disaster strikes.

Like all forms of insurance, home insurance provides peace of mind for the insured by protecting against unforeseen losses. It doesn't matter if you were renting or living in your own place; it does not cover the things that are temporarily attached (like decorations), but it does cover everything else like pipes breaking, fire etc. The average cost for this type of protection is typically less than $550 per year.

Home insurance usually doesn't cover when you (or someone living in your home) intentionally causes damage to the property, but does often cover unintentional accidents. For example, if there is a fire and it was caused by faulty wiring in the dryer, then under most plans the home insurance will cover that accident cost.

Diminished coverage for intentional damage can save money on premiums since companies don't need to prepare for lawsuits like they do with home owners who deliberately cause fires - but this coverage loss could come at a huge price! Homeowners should be sure they understand their policy's limitations before deciding which plan to buy.

The primary decision you'll need to make when choosing a plan is choosing the scope of coverage. Comparing coverage types can help you decide what best fits your household's needs regarding domestic emergencies. Whether you're considering the additional benefits of discounts for various levels of protection...or opting for more or less coverage will want to think about how much money each type will cost upfront as well as over time in terms of premiums and deductibles.

When it comes to house or home coverage in Texas, what you want is the combination of broad protection and low cost. That is, when you suffer a covered loss because someone breaks in and steals items from your home, this coverage will help replace those items with comparable value. It'll also cover any destruction done by fire or hail if they aren't specifically excluded in the policy. 

Keep in mind policies may vary so please consult with your insurance company for additional details on these benefits before purchasing a policy. Finally, keep in mind most policies will require payment of deductible (e.g., $500) before paying out any funds for claims; however, some companies waive this.

Types of home insurance:

Home insurance covers many types of damage to the home and its contents, not just natural disaster protection.

Coverage on a home insurance policy will differ depending on the provider and on personal preferences for coverage limits. However, some standard types of incidents that are typically covered by homeowners' coverage include appliances breaking down, leaking roofs or plumbing issues, ceiling damage due to burst pipes or water leaks, theft/vandalism losses within the home (not including outside security cameras), damage due to pests like termites or rodents (if they become infested in your attic), fires caused either intentionally or accidentally...etc.

As you start to shop around, the first thing to establish is what does and doesn't qualify for property insurance. This is because everything related to your personal belongings acts as a risk for your home home property policies. Things like renters insurance, livestock coverage, liquor liability insurance that's required by law or simply sexual disease coverage (STD Coverage) that qualifies as "accidental loss" if sexually transmitted diseases were ever contracted. Certain types of event might automatically exclude you from being able to purchase an "all risks" policy such as Superstorm Sandy or any other pollution-related disaster where toxic materials have spread over a large area.

In addition to protecting against the physical loss of a covered structure and its liability for unintended harm to others' property or bodily injury, many policies also provide protection for additional living expenses not ordinarily included in dwelling coverage. These additional costs include items such as food and clothing while temporary shelter is being sought away from the home, mortgage payments when the residence becomes totally inaccessible because of damages or destruction in excess of policy limits, costs associated with arranging temporary housing in close proximity to the inhabitable premises while rebuilding efforts are underway.

Buildings insurance:

Buildings insurance is coverage for buildings in an area of risk, usually with a stated maximum. Property insurance may also sometimes include damages to or loss of equipment located within the insured property.

Buildings insurance covers both your financial losses if your building burns down and has no value, but it could also cover you for theft or vandalism damage because water pipes burst due to sudden cold snap which floods the store below. 

For example, say you own an office building where your neighbor's floor collapsed because they over-renovated, so it's common practice in many places to insure against flood damage by including flood coverage in all policies under standard flood clauses.

Buildings insurance is there to protect you in the event that your dwelling suffers an insured peril, such as fire. Different levels of damage are addressed by the different insurances offered, so there are actually multiple policies out there that do pretty much what they say on the tin. 

If for example you have a policy that only pays up to £25,000 worth of damages for losses caused by fire then it does not pay more than £25,000 no matter how great the loss may be or how expensive your home is. Having said this the best would be to get a "Total Loss" policy so if fire does strike everything will be compensated for.

Contents insurance:

Content insurance is worth taking out for people to keep their belongings protected. It covers the cost of replacing any items that are stolen or damaged, and can be taken out against specific policies for jewelry, electronics, appliances, furniture and other household goods insurers insure.

Many people skip content insurance because they think it's unnecessary because "somebody might steal everything". The truth is nobody likes paying expensive medical bills if an accident occurs either. Even further, following a theft or damaging event you will be coping with the hassle of closing down your bank accounts which will make it hard to process things one-by-one as you try to meet the needs of day-to-day life.

Contents coverage should really just be thought of as a rider to protect certain items that you might need to replace in case they get stolen or ruined by some other event like fire which is excluded from standard home insurance policies and riders on them (standard home insurance still won't cover loss either).

Landlord insurance:

Landlord insurance is a landlord's insurance which protects the landlord against non-covered losses, for example arising from property damage due to fire, vandalism, break-in or willful escape.

All risks are grouped by location and property type. Typically, commercial building landlords will have specific policies that cover them against property damage due to fires in industrial buildings with certain industrial contents. 

It pays for any consequential damages caused by their operation of industrial buildings if they are held negligent under common law principles of negligence. It also pays the expenses associated with getting back into normal operations after an event that prevents them from conducting their business for an extended period of time. 

 Landlord insurance is a specialized category of insurance that protects landlords against claims made by tenants, or lawsuits filed by tenants.

There are many landlords who do not carry landlord's insurance due to lack of knowledge about liability laws. If you are one of those people, it may be time for an education! A little bit of general information about who would be required to carry landlord's insurance might help you decide whether or not something like this is pertinent towards your financial situation.

In most cases, landlords have a dual responsibility to their tenants and these can be implied or explicit terms in a tenancy agreement. Implied terms could arise from any written communications between the two parties, whereas explicit duties would be those which are specifically mentioned in a contract.

If there is an incident resulting from something the tenant does on the property, such as making alterations without permission which cause structural damage, it is common for court cases to force landlords to cover repairs even if they were not responsible for creating the problem themselves.


Furthermore, other types of home insurance include: student insurance, listed buildings insurance, high-value home insurance, non-standard construction, holiday home insurance, and unoccupied home insurance. Whatever type of insurance you are getting into, please understand what’s covered and what’s not before you go for it.


(1) All content found in my articles, including text, images, audio, or other formats was created for informational purposes only and is not financial advice.  The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional financial advice. 

(2) Some of the links on my blog are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please understand that I have experience with all of the companies, and I recommend them because they are extremely helpful. By using my affiliate links, you are helping me keep this blog up and running.